Everybody loves hot dogs, but do you really know what you’re doing to your body when you eat them? You’re putting hot dog yuck directly into your body when you consume them. Here are 5 hot dog facts I bet you didn’t know:
- Even though hot dogs are nutritionally bereft processed foods, Americans still consume seven billion of them every summer
- Eating just one hot dog a day raises your risk for colorectal cancer by 21 percent, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research
- When heated, nitrates and nitrites in processed meats combine with amines to form nitrosamines, proven to be carcinogenic
- Hot dogs are extruded from a ground-up slurry of animal carcass, including fatty tissues and skins, animal feet, heads, and other “edible” slaughter by-products
- To make hot dogs safe and palatable, a mélange of binders, fillers, flavorings, and preservatives are added, including corn syrup, nitrates, MSG, and other chemicals
What is your take on hot dogs? Leave your comments below.